Friday, January 13, 2012

What Do You Want From Your Dog? Setting the Right Expectations


This is Beau, our youngest dog. He’s a Beauceron X and he’s beautiful – not just in looks but in temperament too. He was my husband’s answer to a poodle in the family.

Beau at three months
When Beau first joined us he was three months old and while he was hubby’s dog, it fell to me to do much of his basic training. Clicker training is not so much about solving problems as preventing them from ever happening in the first place. One strategy that enables this more proactive approach is the need to define clearly what it is the dog’s owner expects from his dog. In our situation I could easily have drawn up a training plan much as I’d done for Blue, our poodle, but it would not have taken into consideration my husband’s expectations of what he wanted from his dog.

Martin works in a high powered job and is not as young as he used to be. He was keen at the time to increase the activity in his life; he saw this new addition as a means to that end. Wasn’t that all the expectation he needed?

Pinning him down to a client interview was to be my first challenge; he didn’t understand the need for it. We’d owned dogs in the past and none of the trainers we’d worked with had suggested doing this. However it was a requirement of my KPA course and I asked him to humor me – he graciously obliged.

One evening last summer we settled on the balcony with a drink in hand and discussed in some detail exactly what Martin wanted from his dog. Initially, I got lots of “well I don’t want him to pull” and “he needs to come when called”. And while there is nothing wrong with these – what I was after was something more descriptive of why he wanted these behaviors. I explained as much to him and told him to consider thinking of this as a job description for his dog – what were the competencies he was after?

In the side bar is the list of expectations he generated. I couldn’t improve upon it if I tried. Not only is it an excellent description of the dog Beau is becoming, it is also a pretty good description of the character of my husband. It seems to me what he was after was a match with himself. Should I be jealous?

In designing a training program for Beau, I referred often to this list. It helped me identify and prioritize the behaviors we wanted Beau to develop competence. It was useful in explaining why I trained this behavior at this time, rather than that one, and it gave me a benchmark I could refer to whenever we were veering off track.

That was nearly 6 months ago now. Over the holidays we reviewed this initial list and to our delight were able to tick off many of the expectations as “achieved”.

Beau at 8½ months is an active, friendly dog, fun-loving and responsive. He is calm but cautious around all things new, is learning to remain calm around children despite all the noise they make (we have several schools on the estate). He is attentive and courteous most of the time, and only occasionally lets his puppy exuberance get the better of him.  He is learning to be more thoughtful and to exercise self-control particularly when he meets people he knows and likes. He is not a barker, and just as well even at this age he has a bark that will terrify the dead.

Goals set in this way are not static; they should adapt to suit your situation and changing needs. Today I feel the need to add another section to my goal setting form – Achievements. While I used the Goals to help with the training, we inadvertently achieved other things as well and it would be good to note these over time so we can appreciate just how successful this process really is.
Blue and Beau in one of their
few quiet moments

Beau is a gentle giant, an affectionate dog who really does look to Martin for his lead. He is always keen to please and loves nothing better than to play with or just be with his best buddy – his two legged friend (despite what the picture on the right might suggest). What greater achievement for a dog could there be?

No comments:

Post a Comment